from the NYC Office of Emergency Management:
The time to evacuate for Hurricane Sandy has passed. It is time to shelter in place. Get to a safe, indoor location. Stay away from windows and remain above the 3rd floor but below the 10th floor, if possible. Once inside:
– Close and lock all windows and doors, close fireplace dampers.
– Turn off ventilation systems.
– Make sure you have emergency supplies.
– Only seal doors and windows if instructed to do so by emergency officials.
– Tune in to local radio or TV stations to get updates from emergency officials.
Source: Brooklyn Heights Blog